Translate

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Windowing Fusible Applique'

This is not a NEW IDEA (Windowing Fusible Applique')...it's a few years old.....but I thought I would trot it out because of a question I got from one of my fellow stitchers.

One of the girls wanted to make some quick door hanging decorations for patients in our local nursing home.
 I decided that the two-sided-fusible-web-windowing-technique would be just the thing.  So here goes.....

I picked out a section of the fabric, Spring Fling, that would allow me to collect 7 flowers and 3 dragonflies.

 I ironed the 2-sided fusible web to the back of the fabric.


Then, rough cut the parts I wanted in my door hanging.


Like this.....


Then, I cut carefully around on the outside edge.


I laid them out on the background, which was 12 1/2' x 18 1/2", and designed a vase to go with them, using plain copy paper.


I made the vase, by folding the paper, first, then drawing the shape and cutting it out while it was folded so it would be symmetrical.


I tried some different fabrics with the flowers for the vase and decided on this tonal batik piece I had in my stash.


I folded the fusible web and rough cut the shape about 3/8 inch away from the line traced from my pattern.  I cut out the "arm holes" on the actual lined edge.


Then, to "WINDOW" the shape, I cut out the center about 1/4" inside the traced line.


I laid it on the wrong side of the batik and fused it with a hot dry iron - about 5-8 seconds.


Then, I cut it out on the traced line of the outside edge of the shape.




Looks about the right size.  I cut out the "arm holes".....


....and removed the paper backing from all the shapes I had made so far....


....and laid them out on the background.


I drew shapes of stems and leaves on the paper side of the fusible and fused it to the wrong side of the green fabric.




All the elements......


were ready.


I began to lay them out on the background for the last time.


Everything's on there except the dragonflies.  I went ahead and ironed everything in place....then, added the dragon flies......and fused them, too.


All done!  Wasn't that fun?  It took about an hour and thirty minutes.  All I have left to do is to cut the backing, sew it to the piece, right sides together, leaving a turn-out space at the bottom; turn it inside out, press, and blind stitch the turn-out space shut.


4 comments:

  1. I have wanted to make a table runner similar to this and now I have the instruction, pattern and fabric to make it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable and who doesn't like 90 minutes projects??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so pretty and a wonderful idea and FAST!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Prairie Cottage Corner. Please come in and stay a while. We are here to help you with your love of quilting, quilt design and embroidery. We especially like Sunbonnet Sue and her friends.

You can see a complete list of our Sunbonnet Sue designs at
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieCottageCorner

Happy Stitching! Prairie Stitcher