Translate

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Last of the Garden - Marinara Sauce

We're finally getting some really cold temperatures and I can't find anything else to pick, ripen, can or freeze.....except a few apples.

 The last tomatoes.....
 have ripened....
 and the last green and wax beans have been canned.

 We had a really nice garden this year that yielded all the beans, tomatoes, squash, and carrots we could use. I made some Marinara Sauce to can.  I cut up the tomatoes.....
and put them in a large stock pot over medium high heat with a cup or so of water in the bottom.

I used a head of fresh garlic.....

separated and peeled the cloves....

put them, one-by-one, in my handy-dandy crusher.....

like so....

and squeezed....and squeezed....

until they were all crushed....

nice and juicy.

I used the garlic with 2 T. sugar, 2 T. Italian Seasoning, 1/2 t. black pepper, 2 t. salt and 1/4 c. lemon juice in the recipe.

I covered the tomatoes until they started to cook, then.....

uncovered them and let them come.....

to a boil.  When they were all cooked a little and the juices were released, I put them through a machine to remove the skins and seeds (or you could use a ricer).  I mixed the salt, pepper, sugar and lemon juice with the sauce and put it back in the pot to reduce by about 1/3.  Then, I added the herbs and garlic and let it cook about 3 minutes, until the garlic was very fragrant.  I ladled it into clean pints and processed it 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.  Now I have some Marinara Sauce for my pantry.


In the hard times that might come this winter and in the future, you never know when you will need to rely on what's in the pantry.  Dried, canned or pouched foods are great, but canned fruits, vegetables and soups or stews are so little fuss when things are not quite ideal, weather-wise or money-wise.

Stay safe, sisters, and keep the home fires burning.  You are the center of the home universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Prairie Cottage Corner. Please come in and stay a while. We are here to help you with your love of quilting, quilt design and embroidery. We especially like Sunbonnet Sue and her friends.

You can see a complete list of our Sunbonnet Sue designs at
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieCottageCorner

Happy Stitching! Prairie Stitcher