Translate

Saturday, June 15, 2013

What to do when Tortillas run amuck.......and we have a WINNER!!!!

Okay. I'm just human. Really, I am. I mean a blog can make you look REALLY GOOD! But the other day, I made a double batch of TORTILLA DOUGH and forgot to put the oil in. I thought they were a little stiff!

 What to do with such a mistake? It came to me, rather slowly, but it came to me. As I stared at my big lumpy mistake, I thought.....what is made from flour, salt, baking powder and milk? Why, of course, you idiot, I said to myself,.....CRACKERS!!!!

So I started rolling out dough. Whew! Not easy without the oil. See, I had already made little dough balls in preparation for making tortillas, so I just started rolling out big round crackers. To be successful crackers, I knew they had to be rolled VERY THIN.

 So, while resting my aching arms after having rolled out three of the rebellious little balls, IT CAME TO ME!!!! (A day of many revelations, yes, indeed.). Why not roll them out on my pasta roller?


So, I tried it!!!

And it worked!!!!

Instead of little balls, I made little oval hockey pucks.

I rolled them through on 7.....

and 5.....

and 3....

and poked them with a fork....

and cut them with my pizza cutter.....

and put them on the sheet.....

and salted them a little.....

and baked them for about 12 minutes.....

learning to rotate them so they baked evenly.....

and, VOILA, a lot of crackers.

Being half white and half whole wheat flour, they are rough and robust little crackers.....

very crisp, especially the browned ones.

Keep them damp under a layer of paper towels while you work.



I spread them with our favorite Black Olive Spread.


Very yummy and good for you too.

So, what do you do when life gives you lemons (when tortillas run amuck?). Make Lemonade (crackers), of course.

Oh, and we have a winner of our pattern give-away. It's Kathy H!!!!! Congratulations, Kathy!!!!! She's going to choose a pattern from our stock and I'll let you know which one she likes.

Thanks, friends, for tuning in. Running amuck is so much fun when you have company.

Here are the recipes for crackers and olive spread.

Crackers

1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
3/4 c. lukewarm milk
1 1/2 t. baking powder

Mix altogether and knead until all the flour is used up. Pinch off 12 to 15 little balls of dough, cover and let rest for at least 30 minutes. Form balls into flattened ovals and run through a pasta maker three times, each time making the setting tighter (7,5,3). Poke strips all over with a fork. cut into squares with a pizza cutter and bake at 350 degrees F. for 12 minutes, rotating the pan at least twice during baking. Let cool on racks and bag tightly to keep. These will be good for up to a week without refrigerator. To freshen, just heat a little in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes, cool and serve with a spread or dips.

Black Olive Spread

2   8oz. packages Cream Cheese, softened
1 can Black Olives, drained & chopped small
1/2 t. Garlic Powder
1/2 t. Onion Powder
1/4 t. Cayenne (optional)

Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix well with an electric mixer. Store in the refrigerator. Spread on crackers or toast or use as a stuffing for celery.

8 comments:

  1. You're a genius!! I would have tossed the rebellious dough out. Your crackers look yummy especially with the Black Olive Spread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I very nearly did toss it. Something in my pioneer ancestry, though, makes it tough to throw things like 2 cups of flour away. If only I had some chickens, I keep thinking. They would love some of my mistakes and left-overs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best! Good for you and thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. The secret is getting them thin, thin, thin.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a yummy recipe for those crackers. Especially the crispy ones.
    I am happy to be the winner of a pattern. It was hard to decide which I liked the best but finally chose the Prairie Sweethearts pattern. I enjoy doing embroidery in the summer and love everything about this pattern, the scalloped borders, the hearts and of course, the beautiful embroidery. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love embroidery, too. I'm not very good but I hope to improve. Mary Corbet (check her out online) is one of my heroines of embroidery. Her work is stunning....greater than I will ever achieve. However, she has some neat stitch combos that can make a big difference. Prairie Sweethearts is one of my favorites. It includes a story about Daniel Webster, the great public servant.

      Delete
  5. Good save on the to-be tortillas! Glad you could make it into something else. Now you won't need Nabisco any more! HA! I remember years ago I was making sourdough something.....got it in the oven...did I forget something? Read over the recipe, tasted the remaining batter in bowl.....ooppss!!!! no sugar! I pulled pans out of oven and poured back into bowl and mixed sugar into in. It came out ok. Worst of all I was giving it to someone to eat...friends! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I still have to make the tortillas. Wouldn't a GIANT pasta roller be a good plan? We could roll out all kinds of things, then. I'm thinking, at least, I can roll out won ton dough on it. Yes!

      Delete

Welcome to Prairie Cottage Corner. Please come in and stay a while. We are here to help you with your love of quilting, quilt design and embroidery. We especially like Sunbonnet Sue and her friends.

You can see a complete list of our Sunbonnet Sue designs at
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieCottageCorner

Happy Stitching! Prairie Stitcher